Chicken tenders are hot right now, but these crispy, deep-fried golden Meadow Mushrooms Tenders from Bunny Eats Design are the meat-free choice. Even mushroom sceptics will be reaching for them!
- 400g Meadow Mushrooms Portabello Mushrooms
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon celery seeds (optional)
- 1 tablespoon mixed herbs
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 egg whites
- 1 litre oil
- Slice large Portabello mushrooms into thirds and smaller Portabello mushrooms into halves.
- To make the seasoned flour, take a large bowl and add flour, paprika, celery seeds (if using), mixed herbs, garlic powder, salt and black pepper. Stir in 3 tablespoons of water to create some extra crunchy bits.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites with an electric whisk for 1 minute or until fluffy.
- Pick up a piece of mushroom, coat in seasoned flour, shake off excess, then dip into the egg white. Place back into the seasoned flour and press seasoning into the mushroom so that the strip is well coated. Lay coated strip on a plate. Repeat with all the mushroom strips.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan. The oil is ready when a small clump of seasoned flour starts sizzling immediately.
- Deep-fry the mushroom tenders in batches, 4 to 6 pieces at a time, flipping once, until golden brown (about 5 mins).
- Remove tenders and transfer onto a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat until all mushrooms are cooked. Serve with your favourite dipping sauce.